About Filing A Lawsuit After Getting Denied Workers Compensation Benefits

Did you get denied workers compensation benefits and lose your job after getting injured? The first thing that you should do is hire a lawyer, as you may have the right to get compensated in a lawsuit. Find out below what you should know about filing a workers compensation lawsuit and what a lawyer will charge to assist.

How Can a Lawsuit Be Filed When Workers Compensation Benefits are Denied?

Petitioning the court about your situation is how to begin a lawsuit for workers compensation benefits. However, it is in your best interest to speak to a lawyer about what happened and allow him or her to handle all of the paperwork for you. Your lawyer will ask you about your injury to find out if you had any fault in how it occurred. He or she will also ask you about your relationship with your employer in an effort to find out if he or she has some kind of vendetta against you.

When your lawyer is confident that you have a justified lawsuit, you will then have to provide evidence of the injury. You can sign a medical release form so your medical records can be obtained by the lawyer, or you can simply get the records on your own. Detailed documents about your injury are vital if you want to make sure you are compensated for current and future medical expenses. Make sure that any bills that were already paid are handed over to your lawyer so you can recoup the money in court.

Other than medical expenses, you can also get paid for things that include:

  • Lost wages
  • Physical therapy
  • Handicap accessible items
  • Rides to your physicians clinic

Is it Expensive to Hire a Lawyer for Help with a Workers Compensation Lawsuit?

What you are charged for help with a workers compensation case will depend on who is hired and the laws in your state. However, it is typical for lawyers to charge at least 20% of what is won in the workers compensation lawsuit. You are also looking to pay $50 plus for other fees that are associated with your lawsuit, but the lawyer may pay them and get his or her money back if the lawsuit is successful.

You have the right to get paid for your living and medical expenses after getting injured on the job. Hire a workers compensation lawyer, such as those found at Zavodnick, Perlmutter & Boccia LLC, to help you get your lawsuit started.